Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cross-training

Before I begin, I must announce some bad new: the camera has passed on.  Of course, it is just a camera so don't shed too many tears. But until I find a replacement, I'm sorry that there may not be any photos.  I have a set of photos in this blog post that were taken with a friend's camera.

Plan B worked out so that we made it to Charleston, WV on Thursday night.  Of course we did ride 80 miles that day and we were walking zombies by the time we met with our Warmshowers host.  Jerry rode out to guide us back to his home. It was a quick 3 miles that gracelessly put an exclamation point on our day's ride, as the final quarter mile included the two steepest hills we'd ever ridden on.  I think I heard my bike whimper.  No matter, by the time my tendons felt like they were about to rip, we rolled into Jerry's open driveway and into the inviting scents of home: cut grass and bike grease.  Jerry and his wife, seasoned touring cyclists themselves, were keen to our state of fatigue and were kind enough prepare a delicious meal for us.  To the weary traveler, being provided the comforts of home are a tonic capable of combating homesickness, the most insidious of ailments.  That evening, as Alice, Jerry's granddaughter passed me the bowl of potatoes, Geoff and I were members of the family.  These moments are critical for me personally, reinforcing my belief that this trip is wise and that man has the capacity for infinite kindness.

It is comforting to think back on a night spent in a warm home on nights like these, where in a moment I will retire to my tent, in a field at the campsite, in the pouring rain.  We are in Red River Gorge.  After being here for the better part of three days I insist I do not know this place.  Formed by glaciers, the gorge's grand scale does not lend itself to a short stay.  It begs for you to stay, to get to know its secrets, trails forgotten, waterfalls backed by such a rich and dense foliage you are mesmerized at every turn.  I may have gotten acquainted with Red River, but I do not know her.

I had no intention to go on rock climbing as part of this trip.  I'm no climber, never have been.  Yet I wasn't averse to the idea when Geoff mentioned it, despite our argument about the logistics of getting there.  This was the perfect opportunity to try outdoor climbing, with all the equipment provided by Mike who was traveling from Philly to meet us.  And what the bike trip is about is going out and taking advantage of opportunities as they arise.  Here I am with no commitments, in the perfect position to catch the currents around me.  So what if I have not trained to climb, every experience is marked by a first step.


Tent city at Miguel's where you can camp, shower and get pizza.  I guess that's a good combination for climbers since this place is rocking out on the weekend.  Even with the torrential downpour we've had the last two days, this place is completely packed.

3 comments:

  1. I am dying. You are describing The Gorge and all that it feels more perfectly than most folks reading it can possibly grasp if they've not been there truly experiencing it. It is too sweet to read and not hop in the car and get there as fast as possible! I tried to express its wonders for ya'll, but I just had no words. You get it. You really get it. What Blessings.

    I love seeing Geoff climbing in our 'bike gang' t-shirt. Ha ha ha. You should try to load it to the gang's FB wall.

    We used to set up camp in some of those semi shallow cave like overhangs. They were perfect for all weather. Not sure if Miguel's was there back then. Our campsites were always in the interior, pretty large....lots of crazy hippy types attending...and the veggie campfire food was always divine!

    Just believing you do not know her means you get her and respect her. You should return. The Gorge is a good friend to keep for always!
    Blessings
    Fleda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I camped behind Miguel's too!
    JEFFPSPYPGH

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Unforeseen Wilderness, by Wendell Berry is an essay about, and for the conservation of the Red River Gorge. There was a plan to dam it forty years ago. It is beautifully written, and a bit forgotten compared to his other essays. That may hold true for the efforts to flood and then spare the Gorge all those years ago.

    Thomas

    ReplyDelete