Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Roof Over Our Heads

There are times when carefree cycling is in order and others when a sun-filled sky beckons concerted work.  At least thats the notion that occurred to me as I sat atop a wall of a roofless building scrubbing rust off steel that would one day support a new roof.  I felt glad to accept this gift of a warm day in late Fall.  Ryan knelt across from me on an the ledge of the adjacent wall, shirtless and shoe-less, looking like a boy building his first tree-house.  Happiness is found in these moments, the strain of effort directly translated to action for a great cause.  Yet, how did I end up here in West Philly so far from where I envisioned myself only months ago?

Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  Such interesting thoughts come to mind as you sit at your computer editing yet another cover letter for another job that you know should be yours.  But it won't be, because you know that it isn't a job you are applying for, but an illusion.  I opted to keep my sanity, conceding, recession confirmed.  Conveniently, my summer apartment lease ended at the same time as my desire to continue the fruitless search for professional work.  It was at about this time that an old friend made me an offer for a work-housing agreement.  That is, I would work for him in exchange for free housing.  The only catch is that the house is also the work site.

The first step to living in a gutted building is to take stock of what you have.  Practically speaking, my new residence had everything necessary to sustain a functional human life: bathroom with shower and kitchen - two burner propane range, slate counter.  Added to this the upright piano in exquisite contrast.  Then, after you get through that initial shock of the deprivation and the cold shower, you set about making it a home.  Our first order of business, a roof over our heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment