Sunday, April 25, 2010

Royal Chariot

Roanoke really opened her arms to me with a full embrace into her waiting bosom. At no point was this more evident than this weekend when I became an official pedicab driver in downtown Roanoke. 

At Fleda's insistence, I headed over to a local bike shop to ask about renting a pedicab. I immediately informed the owner of the fact that I was only in town a few days and didn't know where anything was. Yet, to my surprise, he went on to explain the particulars of the pedicab gig and began considering when I could be trained to operate the over-sized tricycle.

It is funny to find yourself in the position to have to eat your words.  I think my words to Geoff were something along the lines of, "how ridiculous would it be if I could drive a pedicab in Roanoke."  I said this with the assumption that no one in their right mind would let this idea become a reality.  Little did I know that I was a welcome volunteer.  

It was with pure disbelief that I mounted the pedicab to head downtown on Friday night.  I was greeted with confused looks, cat calls, and many warm smiles as I paraded around town with the huge bike, which begged to be noticed. Surprisingly, I a few folks turned out to be interested in taking a ride. With careful navigation I pedaled through town trying to explain the story of my trip cross-country and that I had no idea where I was going.  This was greeted with a great level of patience - I recommend this approach to any new pedicab driver.  At around 1am, the night grew too cold and I too tired so I headed home to rest before my next gig on Saturday afternoon.

Princess Juliana was dressed in her best gown for the chariot ride.  She didn't take notice of my being several minutes late.  I think she may have been deeply involved in a treasure hunt. This was a special day for the princess as she was celebrating her fourth birthday today.  I was invited to chauffeur Princess Juliana and her closest friends around the kingdom. What better job could there be for a man from Philadelphia passing through town on his way cross-country. I was eager to accept the assignment.

I must say that of all the random things I have done in my life this one may have topped the charts.  Many thanks to the family for having me work the birthday party.  I had a good time and those 4-year-olds certainly did as well.

1 comment:

  1. all i have to say is that picture of you driving those kids around in the pedicab gives a whole new meaning to the word PEDophile... haha :)

    Happy Travels and Great Blogging!!

    Cheers,

    -elan

    ReplyDelete