Monday, April 26, 2010

Surprise! Blacksburg is At the Top of a Mountain

At began to rain the moment Geoff and I brought our bikes and panniers outside as we prepared to depart from Fleda's house to Blacksburg, VA.  That sounds like literary exaggeration, but I swear to you, uncanny as it was, the rain began as soon as we found ourselves outside preparing to mount our bikes to leave.  Take that as you will.  After a week and a half in Roanoke I was mentally prepared to head out regardless of what weather was thrown at us.

But before I go any further, I feel it is appropriate to take a moment in recognition of our remarkable hostess, the benevolent Ms. Fleda Ring.  I believe that thanks to the generosity that she showed to me and Geoff, I am forever indebted to the universe.  Since it is unlikely, given the randomness of life, that I will be granted the opportunity to repay Fleda for her kindness, I instead will spend the rest of my days trying to pay forward her generosity.  It is a burden I will gladly bear.

I won't divulge too much about Fleda, because from what little you can learn about a person in a week, I certainly learned that she values her privacy.  But I did find Fleda's artwork and her lifestyle interesting enough to share.








I know nothing about art, so I won't elaborate on style, media, themes, or anything else that will just end up making me look like a poseur.  I can say that Fleda's art reflects her personality.  It is very open and genuine, revealing to its audience an image very easy to grasp and comprehend.  Yet in all her work, even the most cursory look beyond the apparent external image reveals a depth of meaning and experience.  And here I'll stop because art critic I'm not and more words will be fluff and likely miss the true intent of Fleda's art.

Despite all I've said about Fleda - her hosting, introducing us to influential and interesting people in the community and generally entertaining us - I haven't mentioned her better half: Missy. Though Missy seemed to be more fond of Geoff, I was still quite enamored by her feisty personality.


Missy had her own misadventures in our presence. I misgauged both her sense of smell and audacity and the result was her getting into my panniers, digging out my bags of food and devouring a feast of cliff bars, fiber bars and trail mix.  Most intelligent people would learn from this experience, because, after all, what is more embarassing than being outsmarted by an animal.  However, this person underestimated this clever pup and took what in hindsight was clearly inadequate steps to conceal his food.  So there was round two of dog feast, which this time also included a Little Debbie Chocolate Brownie. Even with the embarrassing ravaging of my food supplies, Missy made Fleda's home a more loving space.  I hope she doesn't miss Geoff too much.

You may wonder why I titled this post as I did and then went on to talk about something else entirely.  The title of the post explains why I am forced to type this with the lights off. Geoff passed out as soon as his body hit the mattress at roughly 9:30pm.  Our first ride, after entirely too much time 'resting' wasn't the easy 40 mile trip we had planned for.  It turns out Blacksburg is at the top of a mountain.  Also, taking a 12-mile detour through the hills of southwest Virginia was inadvisable.  Lets hope Geoff gets a better handle on the GPS unit for tomorrow's ride.

2 comments:

  1. ya'll are going the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree John!

    So, my intuition was correct. Ya'll should have stayed until Wednesday and Geoff could have had a nice Tuesday Night Ride. I sent him an FB message and have telephoned. Embarrassed by my crackling asthma wrecked voice, I just could not leave a voice mail.... Geoff's camera arrived on Tuesday.
    : I
    I keep thinking of ya'll camping now with the hopes you have found warm comfort from new acquaintances in these nighttime freezing temps under the full moon. The house is so very quiet and Missy curls up so very tight on her bed in the kitchen dreaming restlessly for affection from both of you. The organic market opens this weekend and I will pull Missy in her cart to purchase plants for the patio container garden. Until then, I dare not step out on the patio you [Alon] so kindly cleaned and cleared in preparation. Thank You
    Suddenly thrown into a full home with new and unknown roommates, It seems odd and somewhat uncomfortable to return to the 'same old' that preceded ya'll.
    Life is so strange and unexpected. Both of you allowed me to open to it in ways I have always loved to, but have, for necessary reasons in the recent past, not been able to. My life is exploding in the most amazing ways and I am so very fortunate to have shared some of it with ya'll - more so because ya'll seemed genuinely thrilled over it!
    Over the next 4500 or so miles, this world and its memories will easily and rightfully become very distant. Somehow those simple memories and recollections will remain on your ribs, even though not necessarily as fresh in your minds and hearts. Thus is life. Until we meet again, I have decided to open Geoff's package and begin to photograph as many odd and amazing things/occurrences as is possible!!! Before returning it.
    ;)

    Thank You for everything...... cleaning burned & scorched toaster oven, vacuuming massive amounts of dog hair, washing dishes, clearing patio, picking up after high fiber puppy explosion and smiles! Many Many smiles!!!
    Namaste
    Blessings Always
    Fleda

    ReplyDelete